Friday, May 8, 2009
Top Chef!!
Imagine my surprise when Nick shows up at work (in the middle of my 5th grade math class) with flowers and whisks me away! He prearranged it with work...I was gone for the day! He tells me that we are on a time crunch and are going quite a distance and won't be back til 4:30. We had to eat lunch on the road so we could make it on time. We take I-40...East...pass Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh?!?!? And then we pull into the Raleigh Farmer's Market. The whole time he did not tell me what was going on, and then I see the Top Chef trailer. We went to the Top Chef Tour, which stopped in Raleigh on Wednesday. I NEVER and I mean NEVER would have guessed where we were going!!
It was a lot of fun! The chefs (Carla from Season 5 and CJ from Season 3) did a cooking demonstration. CJ cooked a Pork Taco with slaw made with apple, fennel, walnuts, dates, and a lemon/IPA vinagrette. It was SO GOOD! The demonstration lasted about an hour and they talked some about the show and some about cooking in general. Carla has a paper towel over her face in this last picture because the pork had cayenne pepper on it and when it hit the smokin hot oil it became airborne. Many audience members got choked up with cayenne in their eyes, nose, and throat.
What a fantastic surprise Mother's Day present!
Don't I have such a wonderful husband???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Aw, lucky! Carla was my fave from this past season. I don't know who CJ is, so I'm not as jealous as I could've been. Love the haircuts, too!
Your haircuts, I mean. Not CJ and Carla's hair. I don't even know if they recently got haircuts.
Post a Comment